Recipes Made with Cake Mixes
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 1 (8 ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix*
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
- Beat in the egg, then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the cake mix.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls.
- Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon size balls and then roll them in confectioners' sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and "gooey."
- Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners' sugar, if desired.
* 18.25 ounce boxes of cake mix have been replaced by 16.5 ounce and 15.25 ounce boxes. To compensate for the volume loss in a 16 ounce box, whisk 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour into the dry cake mix before proceeding with the recipe. To compensate for the volume loss in a 15.25 ounce box, add 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.