Recipes Made with Cake Mixes
German Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Yield: about 5 dozen
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup butter, softened (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix*
- In a heavy 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, milk, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla extract and egg yolks; blend well.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 to 13 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Reserve 1 1/4 cups topping mixture. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cake mix, remaining 1/3 cup butter, and remaining topping mixture. Stir by hand until thoroughly moistened.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With thumb, make an indentation in center of each ball and fill with mounded 1/2 teaspoonful of reserved topping.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies and cool completely.
* 18.25 ounce boxes of cake mix have been replaced by 16.5 ounce and 15.25 ounce boxes. To compensate for the volume loss in a 16 ounce box, whisk 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour into the dry cake mix before proceeding with the recipe. To compensate for the volume loss in a 15.25 ounce box, add 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder.