German Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened (divided use)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar, milk, 1/2 cup butter, vanilla extract
and egg yolks; blend well.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 to 13 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring
frequently. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Reserve 1 1/4 cups topping mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cake mix, remaining 1/3 cup butter, and remaining topping mixture. Stir
by hand until thoroughly moistened.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
With thumb, make an indentation in center of each ball and fill with mounded 1/2
teaspoonful of reserved topping.
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove cookies and cool completely.
Yield: about 5 dozen