Girl Scout Thin Mints
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package fudge cake mix
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1/2 cup cake flour, measured then sifted
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons water
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 (12 ounce) bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- Combine the cookie ingredients in a large bowl, adding the water a little bit
at a time until the dough forms. Cover and chill for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with a light coating of nonstick
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out a portion of the dough to just under 1/16
of an inch thick. To cut, use a 1 1/2-inch diameter lid from a spice container.
- Arrange the cut dough rounds on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the wafers from the oven and cool completely.
- Combine chocolate chips with peppermint extract and shortening in a large microwave-safe
glass or ceramic bowl.
- Heat on 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stir gently, then
heat for an additional 60 seconds.
- Stir once again, and if chocolate is not a smooth consistency, continue to zap
in microwave in 30-second intervals until smooth.
- Use a fork to dip each wafer into the chocolate, tap the fork on the edge of
the bowl so that the excess chocolate runs off, and then place the cookies side
by side on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate until firm.
Prep Time: 2 hr | Total Time: 2 1/2 hr