Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box Red Velvet cake mix
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups Marshmallow Creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cookies: Combine dry cake mix with oil, water, and eggs.
- Use a 2-ounce cookie
dough scoop to drop scoops of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 13 minutes. Cookies should be firm enough to
handle, but not overdone and crispy.
- Cool on wire racks, then make sandwiches with filling.
- Filling: Beat together butter and powdered sugar.
- Beat in the Marshmallow Creme and vanilla extract, blending until smooth.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of filling onto the bottom of a cooled cookie.
- Press the bottom of another cookie on top of the filling to make a sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
- Store pies between layers of wax paper in an airtight container, and refrigerate
for up to 2 days.
Variation: use devil’s food cake mix!