Angel Toffee Dessert
- 1 box Betty Crocker 1-step white angel food cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups cold water
- 6 (1 1/8 ounce) bars chocolate-covered toffee candy, crushed (1 cup)
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Move oven rack to lowest position (remove other racks). Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat cake mix and cold water in extra-large glass or metal bowl on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 1 minute.
- Pour into ungreased 10 x 4-inch angel food cake pan (tube pan). (Do not use Bundt cake pan or 9 x 3 1/2-inch angel food pan, or batter will overflow.)
- Bake 37 to 47 minutes or until top is dark golden brown and cracks feel very dry and not sticky. Do not under-bake.
- Immediately turn pan upside down onto glass bottle until cake is completely cool, about 1 hour.
- Run knife around edges; remove from pan.
- Crush or finely chop candy bars; reserve 1/3 cup. Fold remaining crushed candy into whipped topping.
- Tear cake into about 1-inch pieces. Mix cake pieces and whipped topping mixture.
- Press lightly into ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch rectangular pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved crushed candy.
- Freeze dessert about 1 1/2 hours or until firm.
- Cut into squares or spoon into dessert dishes.
- Freeze any remaining dessert.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Stir 1/3 cup cornstarch into dry cake mix. Increase water to 1 1/3 cups. Beat on low speed 30 seconds; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Bake 53 to 58 minutes.