Colossal Caramel Apple Trifle
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 6 cups cold milk
- 3 (3.4 ounce) boxes
instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) jar
caramel ice cream topping
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 (21 ounce)
cans apple pie filling
- 2 (16 ounce) containers frozen whipped
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-inch
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly into an 8-quart punch bowl.
holes in the cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel
topping over cake.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half the pudding
- Spoon one can of apple pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton
of whipped topping.
- Top with remaining cake and repeat layers.
- Drizzle with remaining
caramel topping, and sprinkle with remaining pecans.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Yield: 42 servings (3/4 cup each)