Pina Colada Trifle
This is a great make ahead recipe, and it will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box butter yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup light rum
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water or coconut milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 (6 ounce) packages frozen fresh coconut or 2 cups fresh grated coconut
- 1 (7 ounce) can flaked coconut (reserving 1/4 cup for garnish - may be toasted)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can pineapple slices, well drained
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup reserved coconut
- Cake: Place all ingredients except rum in mixing bowl and beat for 4 minutes.
- Pour into 3 (8-inch) cake pans which have been greased and floured.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool.
- Split to make 6 layers. Sprinkle split side with rum.
- Custard: Mix ingredients together.
- Fruit: Drain pineapple syrup. Put cornstarch into a saucepan.
- Add food color and cook on low heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add drained pineapple and cool.
- To layer, place cut side up of one cake layer in bottom of an 8-inch trifle bowl.
- Spread with about a cup of custard.
- Over custard, spread a light layer of crushed pineapple mixture.
- Continue layering cake and mixture until all is used up, ending
with cut side down of top layer and only a layer of custard.
- Cover and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- For serving: Whip cream until stiff.
- Add confectioners' sugar.
- Mound on top of trifle and garnish with pineapple slices, maraschino cherries and toasted coconut.
Or substitute the above with Cool Whip and 1 teaspoon rum flavoring.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cake Mix Dessert Recipes