Surprise Chocolate Cupcakes with
Wisconsin Mascarpone Cheese
- 8 ounces Mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 box dark chocolate or devil's food cake mix
- Ingredients listed for cake mix
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate bar, broken into chunks
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Purchased white frosting with decorating tip
- For filling, in a medium bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and sugar. Stir
in chips. Set aside.
- For cupcakes, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 medium muffin pans
with paper liners.
- Follow directions on cake mix package. Fill each muffin liner 2/3 full.
- Drop heaping teaspoon of filling on top center of each cupcake.
- Bake according
to cupcake directions on mix package, usually 23-25 minutes. (The batter will
cover the mascarpone filling during baking.)
- Remove from oven. Allow cupcakes to sit in pans for 2 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes
to rack and cool completely.
- For frosting, place chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Cook at high
power 1 minute.
- Stir; continue cooking at high power 30 seconds. Stir until
chocolate is completely melted.
- Immediately stir sour cream gradually into melted
chocolate, mixing until smooth.
- Immediately spread over completely cooled cupcakes*;
let stand until chocolate is set, about 15 minutes. Using white frosting with
drawing tip, form squiggles across the cupcake frosting.
- Store covered at room temperature up to 2 days.
Yield: 24 cupcakes
* If icing becomes too stiff, microwave at high power 5 seconds to soften.
Reprinted with permission from the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board.