Almond Polenta Pound Cake
This Almond Polenta Pound Cake combines the crunchiness of corn meal with mellow almond flavors.
Yield: 1 loaf, 8 to 10 servings
The cake develops a pleasingly browned crust, a nice contract to the cake’s tender crumb. Brush the loaf with lemon syrup as soon as it comes out of the oven. The loaf will absorb the tart juice and form an irresistible crystal glaze on top.
Serve this cake sliced thinly with coffee or a glass of dessert wine. Omit the lemon and drizzle it with melted bittersweet chocolate for a more festive dessert.
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup Love’n Bake® Almond Paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, very soft
- Juice and zest of one lemon OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 4-inch metal or ceramic loaf pan such as that made by Emile Henry.
- Stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Place the Love’n Bake® Almond Paste and sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat at medium speed until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Scrape the bowl and paddle then add the butter and beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth, another 2 minutes or so. Scrape the bowl and add the lemon juice and zest. Beat until incorporated.
- One by one beat in the egg yolks and whole eggs until the mixture is very smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan. Bake the cake until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean and the sides of the cake have begun to shrink away from the pan, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding.
- Make the glaze while the cake bakes. Stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Pierce the surface of the cake with a wooden pick. Then, while it is still warm, brush the glaze over the cake, allowing it to absorb before brushing on more glaze.
- Let the cake cook completely before slicing. Serve this cake garnished with sliced strawberries or other berries and a dollop of sweetened yogurt or whipped cream.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Love'n Bake® - ingredients from American Almond Products