Almond Cherry Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups halved and pitted fresh Bing cherries
- 1/2 teaspoon brandy extract
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted*
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons skim milk
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together cherries, brandy extract and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Cream together cream cheese, butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar and almond extract. Beat
in eggs one at a time.
- Sift together 2 1/4 cups flour and baking powder and fold into cream cheese mixture.
Remove 1/2 cup cherry mixture and sprinkle over the bottom of an ungreased bundt
pan. Stir in reserved 1/4 cup flour with remaining cherries and fold into batter.
Top cherries in Bundt pan with almonds. Spoon batter into pan on top of nuts.
- Bake for 75 minutes or until inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan.
- Remove cake from pan.
- Stir together powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over cake.
Yield: 18 servings
* Place almond slices in a shallow baking pan and toast in a 325 degrees F oven for 5
to 7 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.