Aztec Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup yellow
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- Beat butter and orange rind at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy;
gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating just until
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately
with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just
until blended after each addition.
- Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks
form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5- x 3-inch
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 2 hours or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on
There will be too much batter for the loaf pan, so put the extra into ramekins