Best Ever Sour Cream Pound Cake
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream, at room temperature
- Position a rack in the center of the oven, and preheat to 350 degrees F. Lightly
butter a 10-inch tube pan. Dust the pan with flour, and tap out the excess. I use
the cake flour for dusting.
- Sift together the flour, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the baking soda.
- In a
large bowl,using a hand-held electric mixer set at high speed, beat the butter
until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the sugar and beat until light in color and texture, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract. Reduce the speed to low, and in thirds, alternately beat
in the flour mixture and sour cream.
- In a large greaseproof bowl (I use glass), using a hand-held electric mixer (clean
beaters) set at low speed and beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the remaining
1/4 teaspoon salt, increase the speed to high, and beat until the whites just form
- Stir about one fourth of the beaten whites into the batter; then fold
in the remaining whites.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan, smoothing the top.
- Bake until the cake is golden brown and a wooden pick or bamboo skewer inserted
comes out clean, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Cool the cake completely on a wire rack.
- Run a long knife around the edges to release the cake from the pan, then unmold.
Variations on flavoring: In addition to the vanilla, add either grated zest of
lemon or orange or 1/2 teaspoon of rum or brandy extract.
Posted by CookinMom at Recipe Goldmine 7/1/01 10:31:48 pm.
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.