Bittersweet Chocolate Pound Cake
- 3 (6 ounce) foil-wrapped bars Nestle unsweetened chocolate baking bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Cold water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Confectioners' sugar (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) package (4 foil-wrapped bars) Nestle semi-sweet chocolate baking bars
- 2/3 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour 10-inch fluted tube or angel food
- Melt unsweetened chocolate baking bars.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and baking powder; set aside.
- In 2-cup measure, dissolve instant coffee in hot water; add cold water to measure 1 1/2 cups.
- In large mixer bowl, beat granulated sugar, butter and vanilla extract until
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in melted chocolate.
- Add flour mixture alternately with coffee mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool 30 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool completely.
- Drizzle with Viennese Glaze.
- Sprinkle with a light sprinkling of confectioners' sugar.
- Viennese Glaze: In medium saucepan over very low heat, melt semi-sweet chocolate
baking bars with heavy cream and confectioners' sugar, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla extract; cool to room temperature.
Makes about 1 2/3 cups glaze.