Buttered Rum Pound Cake
Yield: one 10-inch pound cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) carton commercial sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Buttered Rum Glaze
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Cake: Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Cream butter; gradually beat in 2 1/2 cups sugar.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream,
beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla and lemon extracts.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold into batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan and place on a serving plate.
- While cake is still warm, prick cake surface at 1-inch intervals with a wooden
pick or meat fork; pour Buttered Rum Glaze over cake.
- Buttered Rum Glaze: Combine butter, rum, sugar and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil mixture, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in walnuts.