Buttermilk Lemon Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch Bundt pan or use our Pan Release.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Mix milk and flavorings; set aside.
- Cream vegetable shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and carefully fold into mixture.
- Pour into prepared Bundt pan. Bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Leave in pan for 15 minutes after removing from oven.
- Turn out onto plate and cover.
- Glaze may be added while still warm, if desired.
- Mix together ingredients and pour over cake while warm.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 549kcal (27%) | Carbohydrates 86g (29%) | Protein 7g (14%) | Fat 20g (31%) | Saturated Fat 6g (38%) | Cholesterol 85mg (28%) | Sodium 275mg (12%) | Potassium 104mg (3%) | Fiber 1g (4%) | Sugar 61g (68%) | Vitamin A 168IU (3%) | Calcium 51mg (5%) | Iron 2mg (11%)
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / Scruggelgreen