Cherry Pound Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 3/4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup milk (add maraschino cherry juice to make 1 cup liquid)
- 1 (10 ounce) bottle maraschino cherries, chopped and drained
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 box confectioners' sugar
- Remaining cherries from cake recipe
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cake: Cream butter, shortening and sugar until light.
- Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition.
- Measure sifted flour and add to first mixture alternately with cherry milk mixture.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Stir in half of the cherries (reserve other half cherries for icing).
- Pour into a greased tube pan.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or until cake tests done.
- Frosting: Cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Add confectioners' sugar, cherries, nuts, coconut and vanilla extract.
- Add enough cherry juice to make a good spreading consistency.
- Spread on cooled cherry pound cake.