Cherry Pound Cake
- 3 (10 ounce) jars maraschino cherries without stems
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened
condensed milk (use only 1/2 cup for Bundt cake)
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Drain maraschino cherries well, and then cut into quarters. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Beat with electric
mixer on low speed until blended, and then beat on high speed 5 minutes until light
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with sweetened
condensed milk to butter mixture, mixing lightly after each addition. Remember to
use only 1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk if making the Bundt cake.
- Fold in maraschino
- Pour batter equally into 6 mini loaf pans, or into 1 (12 cup) Bundt pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
near center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Yield: 6 mini loaves or 1 Bundt cake
Reprinted with permission from
the National Cherry Growers Foundation.