Fig Pound Cake
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grated lemon rind
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup dried Calimyrna figs, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Sauce: Combine sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice in a small pan. Cook, stirring
constantly, until thick and clear.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, rind and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour an 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, cornmeal and salt in a bowl; stir with a fork to mix well.
- Put butter into a bowl and beat.
- Slowly add the sugar; blend well.
- Add eggs to butter mixture, two at a time, and beat until light.
- Add flour mixture alternately with
vanilla extract and milk. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in figs and nuts.
- Spoon into greased loaf pan.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick comes out clean when inserted in
- Cool on a rack.
- Slice thin to serve, with warm sauce atop slices.