Lemon-Glazed Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 5 tablespoons regular Crisco
- 2 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 8 drops yellow food coloring
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 to 1/3 cup real lemon juice
- About 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- Put 2 pieces of wax paper in a 10-inch tube pan. Grease well or spray
- Cake: Put eggs in really warm water.
- In a large bowl, cream Crisco until light.
- Add sugar a little at a time.
- Add eggs, one at a time, along with Crisco and sugar.
Beat well after each egg is added. Beat on high.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a measuring cup put 1/2 cup of evaporated
milk, flavoring and food coloring. Add hot water. Stir well.
- Blend flour and milk alternately into creamed mixture.
- Bake in prepared pan at 325 degrees F for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes.
- Turn cake onto wire rack.
- On another rack place a piece of aluminum foil. Turn
cake upright on this.
- Put Lemon Glaze on cake as soon as it is turned upright on
- Cover with a cake cover while still hot.
- Lemon Glaze: This mixture should be thin to soak into the cake.