Mahogany Pound Cake
- 2 1/2 cups unsifted flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, combine sugars and butter; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at time, beating well after each addition; add vanilla extract.
- Beat in sour cream alternately with dry ingredients (batter is very thick).
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold half into batter.
- Fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour into well-greased and floured 10-inch tube or
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
Yield one 10-inch cake