Mississippi Praline Pound Cake
with Bourbon Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups butter (at room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 6 eggs, separated (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- 7/8 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- Beat butter until very light and gradually beat in the brown sugar.
- Add egg yolks one by one.
- Sift salt, baking powder, baking soda and flour together. Add to the butter mixture
in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Stir in vanilla extract, bourbon and pecans.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy and slowly add the granulated sugar. Beat
until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the batter; turn into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 325 degrees F for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or
until a clean straw inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 to 20 minutes then invert to turn out.
- Bourbon Glaze: Melt the brown sugar, butter and water together and bring to the
boil. Remove from heat.
- When lukewarm, stir in the bourbon.
- Spoon the bourbon glaze slowly over the cake while it is still warm.