Old Dominion Pound Cake
Make this cake at least one day before serving. It freezes beautifully also.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 8 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups flour, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped very fine
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a Bundt or tube pan.
- Separate the eggs. Sift the flour with the baking soda and 1 1/4 cups of sugar.
- Place the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and cream it well.
- Beat in the
flour-sugar mixture by thirds, then beat in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Beat in the egg yolks one by one, being sure each is absorbed before you add the
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the salt and
the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in
the remaining 1 cup of sugar, and continue beating until the mixture is glossy and
holds stiff peaks.
- Fold the nuts into the flour mixture, and gently fold in the beaten egg whites.
- Turn the batter into the prepared pan and gently cut through the batter once or
twice with a rubber spatula to break any large air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a knife or wooden pick inserted near
the center comes out clean. Do not open the oven during the first hour of baking.
- Turn off the heat and let the cake sit in the hot oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from the oven, and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the cake from the pan and sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.
- Let cool thoroughly, then wrap tightly in foil.
- Serve in thin slices, with whipped cream, if desired.
Yield: 24 servings
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pound Cake Recipes