This is the REAL McCOY!
- 4 cups cake flour, sifted before measuring (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups butter (1 pound)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (1 pound)
- 10 eggs
- 2 teaspoons almond extract, vanilla extract or brandy
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease well and flour a tube cake pan.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Place butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add whole eggs, one at a time. Beat thoroughly between each addition of the eggs.
If an electric mixer is used, do not stop mixer while adding eggs.
- Add half the sifted flour and salt. Beat for about 1 minute.
- Add remaining flour-salt mixture and flavorings. Beat about 1 minute. Use rubber
spatula to collect all flour from sides of mixing bowl.
- Pour into prepared tube cake pan.
- Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 20 minutes, checking for doneness periodically.
- Remove from pan immediately after removing from oven.
- Cool on a cake rack.