Rose Geranium Buttermilk Pound Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup finely minced fresh rose geranium leaves
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 whole fresh rose geranium leaves
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter or margarine and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs on at a time. Mix well.
- On slow speed, add vanilla extract and next 3 ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- To the batter, add dry ingredients in 3 portions and buttermilk in
2 portions, alternating between the two. Mix well to moisten flour.
- Place whole rose geranium leaves in the bottom of prepared Bundt
- Carefully pour batter into the pan.
- Bake for exactly 1 hour, 10 minutes, even if cake does not appear done at the
end of cooking time.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Dust with confectioners' sugar or frost.
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
Source: Today's Herbal Kitchen