Toasted Coconut Macadamia Pound Cake
- 2 cups (about 6 ounces) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 (7 ounce) jar macadamia nuts (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup amber or dark rum
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F, and butter and flour a 10 inch (3 quart) Bundt pan.
- Spread coconut in a shallow baking pan and toast in middle of oven, stirring occasionally and watching carefully to avoid burning, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer coconut to a bowl and cool.
- Spread nuts in pan and toast in middle of oven until pale golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool nuts and chop coarse.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in cream cheese.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, and beat in vanilla extract.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into bowl and beat just until combined well.
- Stir in coconut and chopped nuts.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake in middle of oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack for 5 minutes and invert onto rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan bring water with sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in rum.
- Brush hot glaze evenly over outside of warm cake until absorbed. Cool cake completely.
Source: Gourmet magazine - November 1995