Tropical Pound Cake
Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 (16 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice, drained, reserving 1/4 cup juice
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup dried plantain chips, crushed
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place the coconut in a shallow pan and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until golden.
- In a large nonreactive bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream sugar and butter about 1 minute or until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- By hand, blend in flour, baking soda, sour cream, vanilla extract, rum extract, lemon rind and 1/4 cup reserved pineapple juice. Mix well.
- Blend in drained pineapple, mashed bananas and dates. (The mixture will be fairly thick.)
- In a small bowl, blend all topping ingredients together.
- Spoon cake batter into a lightly greased and floured* 8 inch Bundt pan; sprinkle topping mixture over batter
and bake 1 hour and 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Remove from pan and slice.
* For best results, use our Pan Release!