Viennese Pound Cake
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 sticks + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 pinch salt
- Position rack in center of oven; heat to 350 degrees F (325 degrees F if using nonstick pan). Butter and flour an 8-inch Gugelhupf pan or fluted Bundt pan. Tap out excess flour.
- Beat butter at high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat, occasionally scraping down bowl, until very light in color and texture, about
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites in a medium bowl until they form soft peaks.
- Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until whites form stiff, shiny peaks.
- Fold egg whites into butter mixture.
- Sift flour, cornstarch and salt together.
- In two additions, fold flour into the butter mixture.
- Spoon batter into cake pan and smooth the top.
- Bake about 50 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Invert and unmold cake onto the rack and cool completely.