Yellow Vanilla Pound Cake
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F. Using a bit of butter, coat only the bottom of a
9-inch tube pan; dust with flour (sides should remain ungreased so the cake will
adhere to them better when rising).
- Put butter in a large mixing bowl and work it with a wooden spoon until it become
shiny, about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and salt; continue to work sugar and butter together.
When well-mixed, stir in a circular motion until the mixture loses most of its gritty
feeling. Adding eggs will dissolve the rest.
- Add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
- After third egg has been incorporated, add 2 tablespoons flour.
- Add the last 2 eggs and continue to
stir, then add the rest of the flour in 4 parts, stirring well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Spoon batter into prepared tube pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then increase temperature to 325 degrees F.
- After 5 more minutes of baking, gently remove
pan from oven, bend your ear to it and listen for bubbling or a slight sound. If
you hear something, put it back in the oven to bake another 10 minutes, then remove
again and listen. Let it bake another 5 minutes if necessary, until the cake is
quiet. Or insert a skewer into cake; if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove cake from oven and run a knife around the sides of the pan; turn out onto
a wire rack, then turn cake face up.
- Cool, uncovered, for 15 minutes, then cover
with a clean towel (otherwise the cake will become dry and hard).
- When cool, store in a clean cake tin.