Zucchini Pound Cake
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 cup (1/4 pound) grated zucchini
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 5 eggs, separated
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss the zucchini with the 1 tablespoon flour in a bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter with the sugar in the large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla extract, orange liqueur and orange peel.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Stir in the zucchini.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Fold the 2 cups flour into the batter in three batches, alternating with batches of the egg white.
- Pour the mixture into a buttered and floured 9 inch tube pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before unmolding.