Apple Pudding Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 1/2 cups sliced, peeled apples or
1 (20 ounce) can sliced apples, drained*
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon imperials
- 1 3/4 cups apple cider or apple juice
- In medium-size mixing bowl, combine flour, 1/2 cup of the sugar, salt, baking
powder and baking soda.
- Add oil, vanilla extract and the 1/3 cup apple cider or
apple juice, mixing until smooth.
- Gently stir in apples and cinnamon imperials.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 9-inch square pan.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar over apple
- Carefully pour remaining 1 3/4 cups apple cider or apple juice over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 55 minutes or until cake is done.
- Cool slightly
before serving with whipped topping or frozen yogurt, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Microwave Method: Prepare according to above directions, spreading mixture in
glass 8-inch square microwave-safe baking dish. Sprinkle remaining sugar over batter.
Pour apple cider or apple juice over mixture. Cook on HIGH for 12 minutes or until cake
tests done, turning dish every 3 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Suggested apple varieties: Empire, Gala, Golden Delicious, Ida Red, Jonagold,
Jonathan, McIntosh or Rome.
Per Serving - 2/3 cup: 250 Calories, 1 g dietary fiber, 4 g fat, 124 mg sodium