Black Forest Pudding Cake
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup kirsch (cherry-flavored liqueur) or 2 tablespoons water plus 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cherry pie filling
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, flour, 3 tablespoons cocoa, baking powder and
salt in large bowl.
- Add milk, melted butter and vanilla extract; beat until smooth.
- Spread into an 8-or 9-inch square baking pan.
- Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa
in small bowl; sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
- Combine hot water and kirsch; pour over batter. Do not stir.
- Bake 40 minutes or until center is almost set.
- Let stand 15 minutes; spoon into
dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top.
- Serve with cherry pie filling.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings