Caramel Apple Pudding Cake
- 2 medium, tart cooking apples, such as Granny Smith or Jonathan, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2-quart square baking dish.
- Arrange apples
in bottom of dish; sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Top evenly with
raisins. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder
and baking soda.
- Add the milk, the 2 tablespoons melted butter and vanilla extract;
- Stir in chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly over the apple
- In a small saucepan combine caramel topping, water, and the 1 tablespoon butter;
bring to boiling.
- Pour caramel mixture over the batter in the baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set in center.
- While warm, cut into squares, inverting
each piece onto dessert plate.
- Spoon the caramel-apple mixture from bottom of pan
over each piece.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: 223 cal., 6 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 1 mg
chol., 173 mg sodium, 42 g carb, 1 g fiber, and 2 g pro
Daily Values: 4% vit A, 4% vi. C, 5% calcium, and 6% iron
Source: Better Homes and Gardens