Cherry Pudding Cake
- 2 quarts pitted fresh red sour cherries*
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)
* May substitute drained canned sour cherries or frozen cherries.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine cherries with 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and almond extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, milk and oil; mix
well and pour into prepared pan.
- Spoon cherries over batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted into cake portion
comes out clean.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Serves 12 to 14.