Fudge Puddin' Cake
This was a popular dessert years ago. It is an easy, one-bowl cake spread in a pan, and a thin, boiling mixture of sugar, cocoa, coffee, and water is poured all over the top. During baking, the thin mixture sinks to the bottom and thickens
beautifully, while the cake rises to the top. The dessert can be served warm or at room temperature, but it is not a good "keeper"; it is best eaten within a day or so of making. Store at room temperature, tightly covered. Terrific served
warm with good vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup water
- Adjust rack to center of oven. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch
square cake pan.
- Cake: Into medium bowl, sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add vanilla extract to water, then add to dry ingredients along with melted butter.
With hand-held electric mixer at low speed or a large whisk, beat until ingredients
are well-mixed and most lumps are out of batter.
- Turn into prepared pan; spread level, then push batter slightly higher in corners.
- Let stand at room temperature
while you prepare the Topping.
- Topping: In small, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine all ingredients except water.
Mix well, pressing out as many lumps as possible with back of spoon. Add water.
Place over medium heat; stir almost constantly until mixture comes to a boil, scraping
sides of pan occasionally and pressing out any lumps with back of spoon.
- Remove from heat; immediately but carefully pour boiling hot mixture all over cake batter.
Don't pour too much in any one place.
- Using pot holders, very carefully transfer the hot pan to the preheated oven.
- Bake 24 to 31 minutes, or just until cake tester inserted into center of cake
emerges with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Do not over-bake.
- Cool on rack for at least 1 hour before serving.