Lemon Puddin' Cake
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat together egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon rind, and butter or margarine until
thick and lemon colored.
- Combine sugar, flour, and salt; add alternately with milk to the yolk mixture,
beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Blend egg whites into batter on low speed of electric
- Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Place a pan of hot water in the oven, and set the baking dish into the pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites and sugar and fold them into the cake mixture with a whisk
or spatula, and pour into a buttered 8-inch square baking pan.
- Set the cake pan in a larger pan and pour hot water into this pan to come half
way up the sides of the cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes until top is lightly browned.
- Serve with whipped heavy cream and garnish with a sprig of mint.