Lemon Pudding Cake 2
This is an old-fashioned favorite!
- 3 lemons
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Few drops yellow food color (optional)
- Whipped cream
- Mint sprigs
- With a vegetable peeler, cut a continuous 1/2-inch wide strip from peel of each
lemon. Break strips into 3 pieces. Roll up each piece to form a rosebud; secure
with a wooden pick.
- Place rosebuds in small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to
boiling; boil 1 minute.
- Drain. Repeat. Drain well.
- In same saucepan, combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 cup water. Bring to boiling.
Boil 1 minute.
- Add lemon-peel rosebuds; simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
Let stand in syrup until cooled to room temperature.
- Remove rosebuds from syrup
with tongs, holding each over saucepan to drain slightly.
- Place on wax paper. When
peel is dry, carefully remove wooden picks; set aside.
- In large bowl of mixer beat egg yolks, 1 cup sugar, the lemon juice and grated
peel at high speed until pale — about 5 minutes.
- Combine flour and 1/2 teaspoon
salt. At low speed, alternately add with milk to yolk mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup
sugar and the food color, if desired.
- Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk
mixture. Pour into dish.
- Place in roasting pan set on middle oven rack.
- Pour hot water into pan halfway up dish.
- Bake until cake pulls away from sides — about 50 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream, a rosebud and mint sprig.