Warm Chocolate Raspberry Pudding Cake
The beauty of this cake is that the frosting is baked in the same pan with the
batter. When the cake is inverted onto a cake plate a few minutes after baking,
it is bathed, miraculously, with frosting. Although this cake is best served warm,
it is also delicious at room temperature.
- 3 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup heavy
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons
unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam (about 3‚ ounces)
- 1 stick (1/2
cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a 9 x 2-inch round cake pan.
- Make frosting: Chop chocolate. In a small heavy saucepan bring jam, cream and
chocolate to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Pour frosting into cake
- Make cake batter: In a bowl whisk together boiling water and cocoa powder until
smooth and whisk in milk, vanilla extract and jam.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer
beat together butter and sugars until light and fluffy and add eggs 1 at a time,
beating well after each addition.
- Into another bowl sift together flour, baking
soda, and salt and add to egg mixture in batches alternately with cocoa mixture,
beginning and ending with flour mixture and beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter evenly over frosting mixture and bake in middle of oven 30 to 35
minutes, or until a tester inserted into cake comes out clean (frosting on bottom
will still be liquid).
- Cool cake slightly in pan on a rack, 10 to 20 minutes. Cake
may be made 1 day ahead, cooled completely in pan and left in pan, covered, at room
temperature. Reheat cake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. 10 to 15 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edge of pan and twist pan gently back and forth on a
flat surface to loosen cake. Invert a cake plate with a slight lip over cake pan
and, holding pan and plate together with both hands, invert cake onto plate. Frosting
will cover cake and run onto plate.
- Serve cake garnished with raspberries.
Serves 6 generously.
Source: Gourmet, January 1999