Caramel Pineapple Cake Roll
- 1 (#2) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Cake: Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter well a 10 x 15-inch jellyroll pan.
- Spread drained fruit evenly over pan and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Beat egg whites until foamy and add granulated
sugar gradually, beating until stiff.
- Beat yolks into stiffened whites and add vanilla extract and lemon rind. Sprinkle
flour over all and gently fold in. Spread batter evenly over the pineapple and brown
sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Turn upside-down on damp towel and sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar.
Roll up in towel to cool. Remove towel when cool. Place cake on platter and ice.
- Icing: Beat cream with sugar until stiff.