Pina Colada Cake Roll
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice
- 1/2 cup canned cream of coconut
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons canned cream of coconut
- 2 teaspoons rum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut, toasted
- Filling: In medium saucepan, stir together pineapple with juice, cream of coconut,
cornstarch, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
Remove from heat. Cover and cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, preheat oven to
375 degrees F.
- Cake: Grease a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan. Line with wax paper; grease again,
then lightly flour; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, beat egg yolks, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the vanilla extract until
creamy and light-colored. Sift flour mixture over egg mixture; gently fold in with
- In clean bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat
in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff. Fold into batter. Spread evenly in pan.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched with fingers.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle confectioners' sugar onto a clean kitchen towel. Cool
cake in pan 10 minutes. Invert pan onto towel. Remove pan, then carefully peel off
wax paper. Trim uneven edges of cake. Starting at narrow end, roll up cake and towel
jellyroll fashion. Place seam side down on wire rack; cool completely.
- Unroll cake. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons rum evenly over cake, if desired. Spread
filling over surface, leaving 1/4-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle with the 1/2
cup coconut. Roll up cake, gently removing towel. Place cake on serving platter.
- Topping: In large chilled bowl, with chilled beaters, beat cream, cream of coconut
and rum, if desired, until stiff peaks form. Fit a pastry tube with star tip, then
fill with the cream mixture. Pipe over top of cake. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.