Pineapple Cake Roll
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Reserved pineapple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Few drops yellow food color, if desired
- Cake: Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. If necessary, add water to syrup to make 3/4
cup liquid. Set aside for sauce.
- Stir together the drained pineapple, brown sugar and melted butter.
Spread mixture evenly in bottom of ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan.
- In small mixer bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla bout 5 minutes or until thick
and lemon colored. Gradually beat in the 1/3 cup granulated sugar. Wash beaters thoroughly.
- In large mixer bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually add the 1/2 cup
granulated sugar, beating to stiff peaks. Fold yolks into whites.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Sprinkle over egg mixture. Fold
in gently. Spread batter over pineapple mixture in pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately loosen edges of cake
from pan and turn out onto towel sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. Let stand one minute.
- Starting at narrow end, roll up cake, using towel to help you roll. Cool completely.
- To serve, cut into 1/2-inch slices. Spoon Pineapple Sauce over.
- Pineapple Sauce: In medium saucepan stir together 1/4 cup granulated sugar and
1 tablespoon cornstarch. Add reserved pineapple syrup. Cook and stir until bubbly.
Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and a few drops yellow food coloring, if desired. Cover surface with wax paper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Yield: 10 servings
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.