- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 3 eggs (large)
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cake: Line a jellyroll pan with wax paper, then grease well. Heat oven to 375
- Mix sugar and pineapple juice together and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Set aside.
- Beat yolks until thick. Add sugar mixture a little at a time, beating well after
each addition. Fold yolk mixture carefully into beaten egg whites.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt. Fold gently into egg mixture. Add vanilla
extract. Fold in. Pour into prepared jellyroll pan.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn out
onto a damp cloth. Strip off paper; cut crisp edges. Spread with filling and roll.
- Pineapple Filling: In saucepan put pineapple, sugar and liquid. Bring to boiling
point. Dissolve cornstarch in small amount of cold water. Add to hot pineapple mixture.
Cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Cool and spread on unrolled
cake and re-roll. Sprinkle top of roll with confectioners' sugar or Cool Whip.