Strawberry Cream Roll
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Confectioners' sugar for garnish
- 1 cup sliced strawberries, for garnish
Strawberry Cream Filling
- 1/2 pound ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto (or 1 teaspoon almond flavoring)
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 10 x 15-inch jellyroll pan and
line it with wax paper. Grease the paper lining.
- Cake: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat egg yolks with sugar until mixture is
light and fluffy.
- Add almond extract.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder and add dry ingredients to the batter.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared jellyroll pan; bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until a tester
inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn the cake over onto a towel that has been dusted with confectioners'
sugar. Lift off the pan and let cake cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove wax paper. Roll cake with the towel, jellyroll fashion, and let it sit
in the rolled position, on a rack, for 20 minutes while it continues to cool.
- When the cake has cooled completely, unroll. Spread the inside with the Strawberry
Cream Filling. Spoon the 3 cups of sliced strawberries over the cheese filling.
Re-roll the cake to form a log and place seam side down on a platter. Dust the top
with confectioners' sugar and garnish with the cup of sliced berries. Chill cake for 1 hour before serving.
- Strawberry Cream Filling: In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat ricotta cheese
until it is light and fluffy.
- Add apricot preserves and Amaretto; mix thoroughly.