Almond Carrot Cake
The addition of Odense Almond Paste gives this Almond Carrot Cake a subtle almond flavor and a rich and dense moistness. For the finishing touch, top with Marzipan Carrots.
Prep: 30 min | Bake: 35 to 40 min | Yield: 12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) box Odense Almond Paste, grated
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup safflower oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9 inch) cake pans, or use bakers spray.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add grated Almond Paste and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat until small crumbs (a food processor works well for this step). Add oil and beat until thick and smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat in vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture, carrots, raisins and almonds to almond paste mixture. Beat on low until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally between the two pans.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near middle pulls out clean.
- Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes and then invert cake onto wire racks to finish cooling.
- If using optional cream cheese frosting beat cream cheese and butter until very creamy. Add confectioners' sugar (sift if lumpy) and beat until smooth. Beat in extract of choice.
- Place cooled cake top-side down on cake plate*. Generously frost top and position second cake on top, top-side up. For a faultless (no crumbs) frosting, lightly frost cake with a ‘skim coat’ (thin layer) of frosting and refrigerate.
- When skim coat is firm, finish frosting cake with a generous second layer. For an extra special touch, decorate with Marzipan Carrots.
- To make sure the cake stays put, spread a thin layer of frosting in the middle of the cake plate before placing cake on plate.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: Odense