Almond Carrot Cake
The addition of Odense Almond Paste gives this cake a subtle almond flavor and
a rich and dense moistness. For the finishing touch, top with
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce)
box Odense Almond Paste, grated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup safflower oil
eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrot
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 (16 ounce)
box confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2-9 inch cake pans, or use
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt into a small bowl.
- Add grated Almond Paste and sugar to a mixing bowl and beat until small
crumbs (a food processor works well for this step). Add oil and beat until thick
and smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Beat
in vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture, carrots, raisins and almonds to almond
paste mixture. Beat on low until just mixed.
- Divide batter equally between the two pans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near middle pulls out clean.
- Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes and then invert cake onto wire racks
to finish cooling.
- If using optional cream cheese frosting beat cream cheese and butter until
very creamy. Add confectioner’s sugar (sift if lumpy) and beat until smooth.
Beat in extract of choice.
- Place cooled cake top-side down on cake plate*. Generously frost top and
position second cake on top, top-side up. For a faultless (no crumbs) frosting,
lightly frost cake with a ‘skim coat’ (thin layer) of frosting and refrigerate.
- When skim coat is firm, finish frosting cake with a generous second layer.
For an extra special touch, decorate with
- To make sure the cake stays put, spread a thin layer of frosting in the
middle of the cake plate before placing cake on plate.
30 minutes to assemble
35-40 minutes to bake
Total Time: 65-70
minutes (not including frosting)
Reprinted with permission from