Yield: 10 servings
- 2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup amaretto
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons amaretto
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Cake: Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and sugar. Stir to blend and add egg yolks, amaretto, water and oil. Beat until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites. Pour into three 8-inch cake pans that have been greased and floured.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Filling: Whisk cornstarch into amaretto until dissolved. Place over medium
heat, adding the marmalade. Heat until mixture is thick. Cool and spread between layers of cake.
- Frosting: Beat egg whites until stiff in a small bowl. Boil amaretto, water
and sugar until mixture reached 242 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- With mixer running, drizzle the hot syrup into the egg whites. Continue beating until mixture holds stiff peaks.
- Spread over top and sides of cake.