Aunt Jenny's Peerless Coconut Cake
This recipe comes from an old Spry brochure. It is now considered an heirloom
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Spry
- 1 cup less 2 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 3 egg whites, unbeaten
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into mixing bowl. Drop in Spry.
- Add two-thirds of milk, then flavorings, and beat 200 strokes (2 minutes by
hand or on mixer at low speed). Scrape bowl and spoon or beater.
- Add egg whites and remaining milk and beat 200 strokes (2 minutes on mixer
at low speed).
- Bake in two deep 8-inch Spry-coated layer pans at 360 degrees F for 25 to
- Spread Peerless Frosting between layers and on top and sides.
- Sprinkle 1 cup coconut all over frosted cake.
- Peerless Frosting: Make 7-Minute Frosting with 2 egg whites. Flavor with
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Sheet and Layer Cake Recipes