Baltimore Peach Cake
- 1 3/4 cups white flour (bread flour recommended), divided
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Sliced fresh peaches (about 5)
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Add butter and beat for a few seconds on medium speed.
- Gradually add hot water and beat for 2 minutes on medium speed, scraping sides of bowl.
- Add egg and 1/2 cup flour, and beat on high speed for 2 minutes, scraping down sides of the bowl.
- Mix in remaining 3/4 cup flour, mixing until smooth and elastic. Roll into ball, let rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread dough in bottom and up the sides of a cookie sheet or 9 x 13 inch pan. Let rise until doubled in volume, about an hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice peaches.
- Press dough down a little and spread with raspberry jam. Assemble peaches on top of dough, then sprinkle with about 1/4 cup sugar. Top can be glazed with a little melted peach or apricot jam if desired.
- Bake until dough is done and edges are browned, about 25 minutes.
- After cooling, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.