Best-Loved Chocolate Cake
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk
Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) carton dairy sour cream
- 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 1 pound)
- Cake: Let butter and eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Lightly grease bottoms of three 8 x 1 1/2-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Grease and lightly flour bottoms and sides of pans.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time, beating on medium speed until combined (3 to 4 minutes).
- Scrape sides of bowl; continue beating on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition (about 1 minute total). Beat in vanilla extract.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined. Beat on medium to high speed for 20 seconds more.
- Spread batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans. Peel off wax paper. Cool thoroughly on racks.
- If desired, frost with Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting; top with white and dark chocolate curls and candied nuts.
- Cover and store frosted cake in the refrigerator.
- Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting: In a large saucepan melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
Yield: about 4 1/2 cups frosting; frosts tops and sides of three 8-inch cake layers
Source: Better Homes and Garden advertising brochure
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.