Black Walnut Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Swap out pecans with robust black walnuts for a different and even more delicious carrot cake.
- 2 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup black walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 16 ounces cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Blend in oil, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, and black walnuts until well blended.
- Pour into 2 greased pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to set 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Beat in vanilla extract.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Frost cake when cool.
- Top with additional chopped black walnuts for decoration.
Recipe and photo credit: Hammons Products Company