Blue Velvet Cake
- 4 cups self-rising or cake flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil, or softened butter or margarine
- 8 tablespoons blue food coloring
- 4 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup almonds
- 2 small boxes instant vanilla pudding
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine first seven ingredients.
- Slowly add food coloring. Mix at high speed.
- For filling (pudding), follow instructions as written on the box.
- Oil and slightly flour two 8- or 9-inch baking pans. Halfway fill each pan
with batter, then add filling, and fill pan with batter.
- Bake for at least 45-60 minutes. Insert wooden pick in center of cake. If
wooden pick comes out clean, then it is done.
- Cool, then frost.
- Cover each layer with chopped walnuts, pecans and almonds.
- Cover frosted
cake with remaining chopped nuts.