Brownie Cake Poked with Red Raspberries
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 3 cups red raspberries, rinsed and lightly dried, divided
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream, whipped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch springform
- Prepare the brownies: Melt the chocolate in a double boiler set over simmering
water. Stir often, over low heat, until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Remove top of double boiler from heat and carefully wipe bottom (so none
of the moisture steams up into the chocolate).
- Whisk in butter to blend.
- Whisk in sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Whisk in flour, blending well.
- Spread into prepared pan. Gently press 1 3/4 cups raspberries into brownie base.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the edges crack and feel firm to the
- Cool pan completely on a wire rack.
- Gently remove sides of springform pan. Cut brownie base into wedges.
- Serve each wedge with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of remaining
red raspberries atop cream.
Makes about 8 wedges.